
New South Wales authorities have urged people to avoid ocean swimming after a fourth shark-related incident was reported within 48 hours, warning beachgoers to “just go to a pool” as conditions remain unsafe.
A 39-year-old surfer was taken to the hospital on Tuesday morning after being bitten by a shark near Point Plomer Beach in Limeburners Creek National Park on the state’s mid-north coast. The incident occurred close to the Point Plomer campground, about 20 kilometres north of Port Macquarie.
The local health district confirmed the man was in a stable condition and suffered only minor injuries. NSW Police said the surfer was in the water when a shark grabbed his surfboard, causing a wound to his chest. He was treated at Kempsey District Hospital.
Surf Life Saving NSW chief executive Steven Pearce said the man avoided serious harm and was recovering with cuts and grazes. He warned people against entering the water along northern beaches, citing dangerous conditions.
“We have very poor water quality that’s attractive to bull sharks,” Pearce told the ABC.
“Two people are critically injured in the hospital this morning. At this stage, beaches are unsafe — people should go to a local pool instead.”
Surf Life Saving NSW communications manager Donna Wishart said drone surveillance and lifeguard teams had been deployed near Crescent Head, with crews travelling by jetski to monitor the area. She confirmed the surfer sustained grazes to his leg after coming into contact with the shark.
Authorities continue to assess conditions as shark activity remains high along the coast.



